Each year buildings and landmarks across Scotland turn their external lights red on 1 December to show support for World AIDS Day. Last year more than 80 buildings and landmarks turned turned their lights red across Scotland to mark World AIDS Day, from the SSE Hydro in Glasgow to Mareel Cinema up in Shetland. Those who can’t change their lights even flew flags.
Images from Light Up Scotland 2015
Join the Light Up Scotland event in Edinburgh
Who turned red in 2016?
- Aberdeen: His Majesty’s Theatre; University of Aberdeen Chapel; Marischal College; Robert Gordon University; Cheerz Bar and Club.
- Angus: Angus House; County Buildings; Balmashanner Monument.
- Ayrshire: Ayr Hospital; Bridgegate House; Burns Statue; Burns Monument; Burns Monument Building; Crosshouse Hospital; Kilwinning Heritage Centre; Gaiety Theatre; John Finnie Street Clock.
- Borders: Borders College.
- Dundee: Caird Hall; Dundee House; University of Abertay; Overgate Centre; Olympia Leisure Centre.
- Edinburgh and Lothians: Usher Hall; Broughton St Mary’s Church; Harvey Nichols; Jenners; Voodoo Rooms; RBS St Andrew’s Square; Livingston Centre; St John’s Episcopalian Church; St Stephen’s Centre; Camera Obscura; St Andrew’s House; Victoria Quay; Teviot Row House; The Filmhouse; Ingleby Gallery/Regent Bridge; Apple Store.
- Fife: Fife House, Glenrothes.
- Glasgow: Emirates Arena; Heavy Horse (Andy Scott Sculpture, M8); St Margaret’s Newlands Scottish Episcopal Church; Mitchell Library; St Enoch Centre; The SSE Hydro; Glasgow Royal Concert Hall; Glasgow Science Centre; Glasgow Central Station; Delmonicas; Apple Store (Princes St).
- Inverness: Inverness Castle; Inverness Cathedral; Ness Bridge; Town House.
- Lanarkshire: Wishaw General Hospital; Motherwell Civic Centre and Theatre. Red ribbon flags will be flown at: North Lanarkshire and South Lanarkshire headquarters; University of West of Scotland; Airdrie Town Hall; Ravenscraig Sports Complex; New College Lanarkshire.
- Central Scotland: Perth Concert Hall, The Falkirk Wheel.
- Renfrewshire: ON-X (Linwood Sports and Community Centre)
- Shetland: Belmont House, Clickimin Broch, Fair Isle, Foula, Lerwick Town Hall, Mareel, Shetland Museum and Archives, Skerries.
- Stirling: Stirling Students’ Union.
- Western Isles: Western Isles College.
2017: Get involved!
Contact us to find out more and sign up your building or landmark to take part this year, or download a Get Involved in Light Up Scotland pack.